Thursday, July 12, 2012

Toronto Zoo & Rouge Park: Views and Stars









So, this is actually the first time I've been to the Toronto Zoo and Rouge Park in the past 6 year that I've been living in Toronto for. Even I reached at the top of the hill in Rouge Park and met a cyclist, I couldn't tell him what gave me a desire to have this trip. I may attribute to a spark in my head. I have a wish to feel as a child as if I can go backwards, so that I can imagine without any limitation, and do art works etc. It was a tough trip. Because I decided to try to take some shots for the star at night in the Park, I brought toatlly 3 lenses, a Polarie star tracker by Vixen, a tripod and some accesories all by myself. When I finished walking around the zoo, I felt worn out with my ankles. I have flat feet, I can't walk too long. But I insisted to torture myself. Hey! I am a masochist! ... Just kidding. While I was an elementary school boy, my teacher reviewed me as a person who "never give up" or "never surrender". I always keep that in mind to remind myself that I DO NOT DARE to surrender. I was tired but happy. It was about 6:00pm, I had 3 hours to get to the best spot for the shots of the night sky. 
I entered the Rouge Park from Sheppard. 2 hikers was walking in front of me. Along the road, lots of cars drove by. The road has lots of slopes upwards and downwards. These slopes challenged my ankles whithout doubts. After I reached at a parking lot, I decided to hike in a trail called Richard. (...) Now I found the hill that looked like the highest point that might be the top of GTA except for buildings like CN tower. It was about 8:23, half an hour to sunset. I took off my wet shirt, really wanted to shout out "I am the king of the world!"("Jack, there you are!") But that was kinda too silly for me, so I really "gave up". Not too long after that I reached at the top, I met the cyslist that I mentioned above. We talked a lot and watcher the sunset. Then I met 2 more hikers with a dog. Then nobody came up there. That's the best situation for me. lonely and a feeling that I rule the sky. The hills and the forests were like the throne. After civil twilight, I saw the first star.












Nothing more I can say about the night sky. Though it was about 10km off the city, I can't see the milky way with naked eyes. In the lates maginze Economists, Toronto was ranker in the Top 10 Best for Living City. But the light pollution is still kinda too heavy. The reason why you can see that in the pictures is that I registered tens of pictures then the photons that the camera collected will be accumulated, therefore, we can "see" much more though the lens than the normal way. But another reality is, I can see more stars and clearer sky than in the city. Before the moon rised, I packed up my equipments and left the park. There was a late midnight bus for me. 








No comments:

Post a Comment